State Medicaid agencies and CHIP programs play a significant role in their state’s lead screening procedures and provision of treatment services for children. This fact sheet was created following a recent webinar with state officials to share key information. It provides data on lead toxicity in children, the potential health impacts, the federal CMS requirements for screening and treatment through Medicaid and CHIP, and options that states have to improve their lead screening and treatment rates.
- CMS Lead Screening Webpage
- CMCS Information Bulletin: Coverage of Blood Lead Testing for Children Enrolled in Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program, November 2016
- CMCS Informational Bulletin: Targeted Lead Screening Plans, June 2012
- CMS Guide for States Interested in Transitioning to Targeted Blood Lead Screening for Medicaid Eligible Children, May 2012
- CDC Lead Webpage
- CDC Policy Guide – Preventing Lead Poisoning in Children
- EPA Webpage – Basic Information about Lead in Drinking Water