Center for State Rx Drug Pricing
The mission of the Center for Rx Drug Pricing is to support states working to lower their prescription drug costs through innovative legislation, policies, and strategies. This website provides model legislation, legal, and other resources, enabling state policymakers to more effectively control prescription drug spending in Medicaid and other health care programs.
The center was made possible with support from Laura and John Arnold Foundation and produced by NASHP Pharmacy Costs Work Group.Read More
To move the state agenda forward, the Laura and John Arnold Foundation has funded NASHP to establish the NASHP Center for State Drug Price Action. The Center is staffed by Jane Horvath, who brings expertise from work both in the pharmaceutical industry and the federal government, who will direct the initiative, help promote it with states and support state-based implementation. In brief, the Center will provide technical and strategic assistance to states, leverage legal and actuarial expertise for states as needed, distribute funding to a subset of states, and convene the Work Group to address policy and strategic issues that arise during this next phase of the project. The Center will also engage other state organizations to advance the states’ drug price policy agenda, and, lastly, disseminate learnings – successes and challenges – among states.
NASHP’s Pharmacy Costs Work Group is comprised of state leaders from governors’ staff, state legislatures, Medicaid programs, public employees, attorney generals’ offices, state-based insurance exchanges, comptrollers’ offices, and corrections departments. The group aimed to find new approaches to limit pharmaceutical costs by examining the many levers state governments have as policymakers, regulators, and purchasers.
- Susan Barrett, J.D., Executive Director, Green Mountain Care Board
- Burl Beasley, D.Ph., MPH, MS Pharm Clinical Pharmacist, Oklahoma Health Care Authority
- Robert Crittenden, M.D., Senior Policy Advisor to Governor, Washington
- James DeBenedetti Director, Plan Management Division, Covered California
- Rebekah Gee, Secretary, Dept. of Health and Hospitals, State of Louisiana
- Rory Griffin, Deputy Director, Arkansas Dept. of Corrections
- Richard Gottfried, Chair, Committee on Health, New York Assembly
- Emily Hancock, RPH, Phar. D., MPA Clinical Pharmacist, Indiana Dept. of Social and Family Services
- Nathan Johnson, Chief Policy Officer, Washington State Health Care Authority
- Heather Korbulic, Executive Director, Silver State Health Insurance Exchange
- Kevin Lembo, Comptroller, State of Connecticut
- Janet Mills, J.D., Attorney General, State of Maine
- Rebecca Pasternik-Ikard, Chief Executive Officer, Oklahoma Health Care Authority
- Sara Sadownik, Deputy Chief of Staff, Massachusetts Health Policy Commission
- David Seltz, Executive Director, Massachusetts Health Care Commission
- Norman Thurston, Ph.D., Utah State Legislature
- Eileen Mallow, Deputy Director, WI Dept. of Employee Trust Funds
- Linda Wiant, Chief, Medical Assistance Plans, State of Georgia
- Josh Wojcik, Policy Director, Connecticut Office of the Comptroller
- Trish Riley, Chair, Executive Director, NASHP
Please find information for all upcoming webinars of the Pharmacy Cost Work Group here, as well as the recordings and slide decks of previous webinars:
State policy makers interested in model legislation produced by this workgroup may request access to a legislators guide and additional background materials. Please contact Corinne Alberts if you wish to receive this state-only material.
For more information, please contact Jane Horvath, staff lead for this project.