States electing to establish exchanges have entered a new phase: they are working to convene their governing bodies, tackle initial policy issues, and a few have hired full-time executive directors. These directors come from a variety of backgrounds, but have one thing in common: they have all stepped into the fast-paced world of ACA implementation to help build an exchange from the ground up, all by the 2013 deadline. This State Refor(u)m webinar featured three exchange directors from three very different states. They shared:
- What they’ve accomplished so far
- The challenges they see ahead
- Their top policy priorities
- How they work with other agencies and partners across traditional program boundaries
You also got to know these exchange directors, the people behind one of the most-talked-about—yet currently unformed—aspects of health reform. Insurance exchanges will have a vital role in helping consumers shop for, understand, and purchase coverage. Exchanges may also shape the quality and cost of plans, and they are expected to be the source of health insurance coverage for millions of Americans. States that decide to establish an exchange will need to determine policy goals and governance structure; develop enrollment systems and IT infrastructure; and adopt plan rating, billing and other systems.
Susan Dentzer, Editor-in-Chief, Health Affairs
- Peter Lee, Executive Director, California Health Benefit Exchange
- Patty Fontneau, Executive Director and Chief Executive Officer, Colorado Health Benefit Exchange
- Richard Fiore, Executive Director, Alabama Health Insurance Exchange
Presenters Sonya Schwartz and Rachel Dolan also gave an overview of where states are on exchange implementation based on information collected from State Refor(u)m. Has your state begun work on exchange implementation that you don’t see reflected here? Share your work if your state has, for example:
Continue the webinar conversation online! Were you among the listeners who heard this webinar on exchange implementation under health care reform? Whether you tuned in or had to miss it, you can view the slides and recording below, and continue the dialogue here. Read Q and A highlights from the webinar, then add your own questions in the comments, or offer a perspective from your state in response to someone else’s query.
Download the slides or watch the webinar recording below:
– See more at: https://www.statereforum.org/webinars/building-it-from-the-ground-up-conversation-with-state-exchange-leaders#sthash.YJh6xZ9P.dpuf