One-on-One State TA and Peer Learning Sessions
Technical Assistance for States in Application of Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Parity Requirements to Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Programs
CMS is offering one-on-one technical assistance (TA) and a series of peer learning sessions to assist states in implementation of the final parity rule. All states are encouraged to participate, regardless of where they are in the parity compliance process. Note that any questions or information shared by states during the one-on-one TA and peer learning sessions will not be used for compliance or enforcement purposes.
States are encouraged to submit questions to the CMS Parity Team via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions will be reviewed and responded to by the CMS Parity Team. More complicated or detailed inquiries will be triaged by the CMS Parity Team for phone consultation with a contractor and may lead to additional one-on-one coaching as needed.
Peer Learning Sessions
Peer learning sessions are moderated, virtual sessions that provide an opportunity for states to share key challenges and strategies, and to problem-solve with peers. Peer learning sessions will focus on specific topics based on state technical assistance needs. Parity experts will facilitate peer learning sessions and answer questions, but active state participation is expected.
CMS staff will not attend peer learning sessions, and no information discussed on these calls will be used for compliance or enforcement purposes. Group facilitators will provide to CMS a high-level summary of states’ challenges, questions, and strategies after each session; however, states will not be identified by name or other identifying details.
Multiple time slots will be offered for each topic and pre-registration is necessary. To allow for a small group experience, participation in each group will be capped. States with multiple attendees should coordinate to register for one time slot per state.
- April 2017: Session 1 – Identify and analyze NQTLs **Registration Now Open!**
- Monday, April 24, 2017 at 4:00-5:00pm ET
- Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 3:30-4:30pm ET
- May 2017: Session 2 – Define classifications and map benefits to four classifications
- Monday, May 22, 2017 at 2:00-3:00pm ET
- Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 3:00-4:00pm ET
- June 2017: Session 3 – Identify and analyze FRs, QTLs, and AL/ADLs
- Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 3:00-4:00pm ET
- Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 2:00-3:00pm ET
- July 2017: Session 4 – Documentation
- Tuesday, July 18, 2017 at 3:00-4:00pm ET
- Thursday, July 20, 2017 at 3:00-4:00pm ET
- August 2017: Session 5 – To be Determined Based on Emerging Issues
- Tuesday, August 22, 2017 at 1:00-2:00pm ET
- Thursday, August 24, 2017 at 3:00-4:00pm ET
Registration for Peer Learning Session 1: Non-Quantitative Treatment Limitations (NQTLs)
Overview: This peer learning session is designed to help states better understand NQTLs as they pertain to parity compliance. States will have the opportunity to share their key challenges, strengths, and strategies in relation to NQTLs, and to review tools for NQTL identification, collection, and analysis.
Registration: To allow for a small group experience, participation in each group will be capped. States with multiple attendees should coordinate to register for one time slot per state. Please use the following links to register for one of the following sessions.
- Session 1a: Monday, April 24, 2017 4:00-5:00pm ET: Registration for this session is now closed
- Session 1b: Thursday, April 27, 2017 3:30-4:30pm ET: Click here to register
Pre-reading Materials: We suggest participants review the following reading materials/resources relating to NQLTs in preparation for the peer learning session: